EOY 2016 Albums Spreadsheet Updates

Harold
Into the Groove

EOY 2016 Albums Spreadsheet Updates

Post by Harold »

There are now a sufficient number of lists in all three categories to allow for the first posting of the EOY 2016 Albums Spreadsheet:

USA/Canada:
Consequence of Sound; Rolling Stone; Decibel; Paste; Stereogum; Exclaim! [Canada] (pop/rock top 20, folk & country top 10); American Songwriter

UK:
Mojo; Uncut; NME; fRoots; The Skinny; The Guardian [#11-40]

Rest of the World:
Gaffa [Sweden]; Mondosonoro [Spain]; Gaffa [Denmark]

Focusing for now on existing sources from previous years - posted lists not included here may be addressed at a later date.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Re: EOY 2016 Albums Spreadsheet Updates

Post by Bruno »

Thanks a lot, Harold! :music-listening:
Future Critic
Let's Get It On

Post by Future Critic »

Yes!! Thank you!

I can't argue with the top 20 at all - they are all worthy picks.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Thanks, Harold!!
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

Thanks Harold. Been looking forward to this going up and will be checking back often over the next few months. Early observation: no love for School of Seven Bells so far. I know it released early in the year but I'm sad to see it be overlooked thus far.
mowino
Let's Get It On

Post by mowino »

Have we ever had two siblings in the EOY top 10? (Bey/Solange) :o
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

mowino wrote:Have we ever had two siblings in the EOY top 10? (Bey/Solange) :o
Oasis? (Not what you mean, but technically correct!)
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Win & Will Butler from Arcade Fire

or for 2 lots of siblings in same band Dessner & Devendorf siblings from The National.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

JohnnyBGoode wrote:Win & Will Butler from Arcade Fire

or for 2 lots of siblings in same band Dessner & Devendorf siblings from The National.
Yes, yes, there have been lots of siblings in bands or groups together. No need to clutter this thread enumerating all of them. Obviously my question was about siblings recording as individual artists, as Nick notes above.
Maschine_Man
Unquestionable Presence

Post by Maschine_Man »

I guess it really just shows how ambivalent I was towards 2016, but I'm really not feeling this list atm.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

On a more morbid note, I can't remember the last time there was even one artist in a high EOY position who was deceased at the time. Now we're going to have three (Bowie, Cohen, and ATCQ's Phife Dawg).
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Seems like a good time for an update. Here are the lists that have been added since last Friday:

USA/Canada:
Exclaim! [Canada] (complete genre lists); Revolver; NPR; Complex; Glide; Grammy Awards [Album of the Year nominees]; Treble; Gorilla vs Bear; Entertainment Weekly; Noisey; Slant

UK:
The Guardian [#7-10]; The Quietus

Rest of the World:
OOR [Netherlands]; Intro [Germany]; Double J [Australia]; FasterLouder [Australia]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruno
Shake Some Action

Post by Bruno »

Great, Harold!
Thanks!
antonius
Movin' On Up

Post by antonius »

Thanks for doing this again this year Harold!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Thanks a lot Harold, I'm eagerly following this.

Most unexpected potential bubbler: Ariana Grande's Dangerous Woman. I did actually listen to the album when it came out, and aside from two or three songs, I found it rather pedestrian. Am I missing something?
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Harold

prosecutorgodot
Keep On Movin'

Post by prosecutorgodot »

Thank you Harold! and everyone else running spreadsheets!

I'm just keeping up with my top 10 lol. They climbed a little so far, so I'm contented for now.
Mika
Only Sixteen

Post by Mika »

Anyone willing to put text update of top20? Reason : No need to open excel every time
Mecano
Superunknown

Post by Mecano »

Mika wrote:Anyone willing to put text update of top20? Reason : No need to open excel every time
This please!
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Current top 20 (it won't match the spreadsheet because of updates since yesterday):

1. David Bowie - Blackstar
2. Beyonce - Lemonade
3. Frank Ocean - Blonde
4. Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool
5. Solange - A Seat at the Table
6. Bon Iver - 22, A Million
7. Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
8. Chance The Rapper - Coloring Book
9. Angel Olsen - My Woman
10. A Tribe Called Quest - We Got It from Here… Thank You 4 Your Service
11. Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
12. Anohni - Hopelessness
13. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
14. Anderson .Paak - Malibu
15. Leonard Cohen - You Want It Darker
16. Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
17. Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth
18. Kaytranada - 99.9%
19. Blood Orange - Freetown Sound
20. Mitski - Puberty 2
McJagger
Strange Fruit

Post by McJagger »

Who would have guessed that A Tribe Called Quest would release a more acclaimed hip hop album than Kanye West in 2016? Or that David Bowie would release his fourth(?) most acclaimed album in 2016?
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

McJagger wrote:Who would have guessed that A Tribe Called Quest would release a more acclaimed hip hop album than Kanye West in 2016?
Well, the jury will be out on that one until this is over. Right now the margin between the two is razor-thin, and I would expect both albums to continue to be major players on lists from all over the world. I'm just glad that We Got It from Here... was released in time to make all of these lists.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

bootsy wrote:Harold

Just wanted to acknowledge this, Bootsy. Thanks! (But I could never do this without the constant contributions of everyone who actually finds and posts the lists!)
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

I'll post an updated spreadsheet before the week is out (maybe sooner), but I wanted to just give a quick update on the chart's upper reaches.

The top 20 albums are still the same as in my previous text update above, with only the order slightly changing. However, Sturgill Simpson is close to dropping out of the top 20, to be replaced by Jenny Hval - Blood Bitch has really been surging these last few days.

To my surprise, Blonde is mounting a very strong challenge to Lemonade for the #2 spot - as of this writing, only one point separates the two.

Kanye West (apparently our President-elect's new best friend, WTF - sorry, just wanted to mention that - any actual discussion of this bizarre topic should be taken to a different thread, thanks) has overtaken A Tribe Called Quest and Pablo-d his way into the top 10.

Further down, Anna Meredith's Varmints is one high ranking away from the top 40. I know nothing about this album, but it looks like I'm going to be checking it out soon.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Happily surprised to hear Varmints may scrape through. It's a wonderful little album that continiually bounces between playful instrumentals and succinct vocal tracks.

However it is disappointing to hear that Sturgill Simpson's newest album is losing ground. It's a bizzare reversal of two years ago when Metamodern Sounds in Country Music gained increasing traction as the EoY's were posted, leaving some of us wondering who this new usurper was.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with the following:

USA/Canada:
Pretty Much Amazing; AllMusic; PopMatters; A.V. Club; Spin; Billboard; Pitchfork; Tiny Mix Tapes

UK:
The Guardian [#3-5]; MusicOMH; The 405; God is in the TV; Time Out; Resident Advisor; Drowned in Sound; Fact; The Wire; The Line of Best Fit; Q

Rest of the World:
MusikExpress [Germany]; Soundi (Intl & Natl) [Finland]; Humo [Belgium]; Indiestyle [Belgium]; Les Inrockuptibles [France]
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Current top 50 albums:

1 David Bowie / Blackstar
2 Frank Ocean / Blonde
3 Beyonce / Lemonade
4 Radiohead / A Moon Shaped Pool
5 Solange / A Seat at the Table
6 Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds / Skeleton Tree
7 Bon Iver / 22, A Million
8 Angel Olsen / My Woman
9 Kanye West / The Life of Pablo
10 Chance The Rapper / Coloring Book
11 A Tribe Called Quest / We Got It from Here… Thank You 4 Your Service
12 Anohni / Hopelessness
13 Leonard Cohen / You Want It Darker
14 Anderson .Paak / Malibu
15 Danny Brown / Atrocity Exhibition
16 Car Seat Headrest / Teens of Denial
17 Mitski / Puberty 2
18 Kaytranada / 99.9%
19 Blood Orange / Freetown Sound
20 Jenny Hval / Blood Bitch
21 Rihanna / Anti
22 Sturgill Simpson / A Sailor's Guide to Earth
23 Kendrick Lamar / untitled unmastered.
24 PJ Harvey / The Hope Six Demolition Project
25 Skepta / Konnichiwa
26 The 1975 / I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It
27 Nicolas Jaar / Sirens
28 Michael Kiwanuka / Love & Hate
29 Young Thug / JEFFERY
30 Whitney / Light Upon the Lake
31 The Avalanches / Wildflower
32 James Blake / The Colour in Anything
33 Iggy Pop / Post Pop Depression
34 Margo Price / Midwest Farmer's Daughter
35 Parquet Courts / Human Performance
36 Kate Tempest / Let Them Eat Chaos
37 Jessy Lanza / Oh No
38 Drive-By Truckers / American Band
39 Savages / Adore Life
40 King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard / Nonagon Infinity
41 Drake / Views
42 Pinegrove / Cardinal
43 Anna Meredith / Varmints
44 Christine and The Queens / Chaleur Humaine [2014]
45 Paul Simon / Stranger to Stranger
46 Babyfather / BBF Hosted by DJ Escrow
47 Shirley Collins / Lodestar
48 YG / Still Brazy
49 White Lung / Paradise
50 Cass McCombs / Mangy Love
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

One thing that's really surprised me over the last couple of years is this trend towards solo artists as opposed to bands or duos in the upper echelon of the album's EOY lists. As a review, this is the number of albums in the top 20 albums of the year that were created by a band/duo.

2006: 10
2007: 13
2008: 14
2009: 15
2010: 11
2011: 10
2012: 11
2013: 13
2014: 7
2015: 6
2016: 5

I tended to be pretty loose with what a band was though. I counted Gorillaz, LCD Soundsystem, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, D'Angelo and The Vanguard, and the first Bon Iver album all as "bands". Still though. Incredible drop off after 2013. Is this a coincidence or a trend with some clear reasons behind it?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

I'm rather satisfied with the ranking so far. Well, not completely, but enough. The only point that really bugs me is Kanye ahead of Chance and the Tribe. The latter two are better hip-hop albums in my opinion than Pablo. I also think that Radiohead is too high, but I've been thinking that for all albums they released since Kid A, so I've grown accustomed to it. And I think that the Knowles sisters albums are better modern r'n'b albums than Frank Ocean's, but I like Frank enough to not care much.

Interesting to see the ROW score of Nick Cave compared to his US and UK scores; we can really talk about a gap here. I like my ROW :D
Ulysses
Are You Experienced?

Post by Ulysses »

Radiohead has it too easy. I've grown slightly more positive toward the album lately, but it's still hardly deserving of the amount of acclaim it has attained. Wouldn't mind them dropping to the bottom top 10 and Bon Iver leaving it. Chance and Tribe just made superior albums. Would like to see Solange climb to the #2 spot (would like to see her at #1, but Bowie seems to stick to it). Surprised to see Nick Cave sticking to his placement considering how uneven his representation on the EOY-lists, not that I complain, though. Also Parquet Courts: no reason for it not to be higher. It was smart, catchy, mature, versatile, and deeply felt. Should be top 20.
weirdfish
Superunknown

Post by weirdfish »

How opinions can differ :-)
For me AMSP is Radioheads best since Kid A - rich detailed and beautiful, but I feel like many magazines has just decided that RH doesnt belong to the top spot anymore, just safe 5-10th place because you cant compare different genres anyway.
Still, playing I need you from Skeleton Tree after Daydreaming, and it feels like amateur's hour, I cant stop :angry-banghead: that basically everyone is putting it on the same level with so many evaluating it even higher.
But whatever results its great and very interesting to have such an annual review.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Question on the albums spreadsheet.

Are the albums spreadsheets from multiple years able to be cross-referenced to determine position on the AM list? That is to say, on the 2015 albums spreadsheet, "To Pimp a Butterfly" is at 509 points and "Carrie & Lowell" is at 392 points. When the AM update comes, "Butterfly..." will be at #100 on the all time list, while "Carrie & Lowell" will be at around #160. As it stands now, "Blackstar" is at 488 points on the 2016 albums spreadsheet. If nothing changes, can we expect the album's 488 points to land it somewhere between the #100 spot and the roughly #160 spot that Sufjan's album will have? Or do different spreadsheets use different means to assign points?
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

weirdfish wrote:How opinions can differ :-)
For me AMSP is Radioheads best since Kid A - rich detailed and beautiful, but I feel like many magazines has just decided that RH doesnt belong to the top spot anymore, just safe 5-10th place because you cant compare different genres anyway.
Still, playing I need you from Skeleton Tree after Daydreaming, and it feels like amateur's hour, I cant stop :angry-banghead: that basically everyone is putting it on the same level with so many evaluating it even higher.
But whatever results its great and very interesting to have such an annual review.
Well, it's indeed the total opposite of my view :D To me, A Moon Shaped Pool features some magnificent songs in "Burn the Witch" and "Daydreaming", a couple other great ones like "Identikit", but otherwise the rest of the album is a real letdown. Overall, I think it's barely above Hail to the Thief. I personally think that Radiohead's best post-Kid A release remains In Rainbows or I Might Be Wrong. As I mentioned elsewhere already, I'll confess that I'm not a Radiohead fan, but I don't believe I'm being excessively mean either: one of my cousins who isn't particularly fond of the band either outright called the album "mediocre"! I think he's too hard: to me it's a good album with great points, but it's not in my top 10 of the year. It would probably make my top 20 I guess.

On the contrary, Skeleton Tree is to me the definition of a masterpiece: although Nick Cave confessed that he started recording the album before the death of his son, it still works as a strong catharsis to his grief. When I first listened to the album it was a shocker how powerful his heartbroken performance was, and it was actually difficult for me coming back to it because of how voyeuristic I feel everytime I give it a spin - it's just too damn personal. The subtlety and minimalism of the music is just perfect: it underscores perfectly the beauty of the melodies and doesn't steal the show from Cave's singing, which magnificently displays his distress and I'm far more touched by it than by Thom Yorke's over-the-top miserabilism which has always come out to me as forced and theatrical (once again, I'm not a Radiohead fan).

We'll just have to agree to disagree ;)
Ulysses
Are You Experienced?

Post by Ulysses »

In danger of stigmatizing myself as 'that guy who doesn't like radiohead', I must confess I have always have a strained relationship to Thom Yorke. I find his lyricism tiresome, overly introvert, anxiously humorless, not particularly articulate either. When I parse the lyrics for OK Computer, as an example, I find that he thrives in dislocation and alienation, but also that (almost obviously) this particular orientation makes it difficult for him to express himself in a way that feels solidary to the particular listener. Not the least because he's so humorless. He seems like he writes within this bubble of estrangement, but never takes a reflected glance at what he observes about himself or the world. As such, his observations about his broken relationship on AMSP doesn't give much, in my opinion. Wether he pities himself or looks toward stepping out of the cave and start afresh, It's purely self-observing, addressing emotional states, not really reflective hereof. This doesn't mean there's no quality to it. I do think it's a nuanced album, production-wise, but in this regard it seems more generous on a conceptual level (when I try to interpret the choices of arrangement and production) than on a spontaneous, affectional level. And if music doesn't affect me, rather than just poke my 'intellectual curiosity', for all its worth, it doesn't stand a good chance at my swearing allegiance to it in the long run. I blame Yorke. Not my idea of a brooding genius, though brooding indeed he is. (This is subjective of course, I'm not claiming my reading of them and him as being anything else than a personal reading.)

Nick Cave is a strange figure for me in the sense that I don't know why I feel so dedicated to him. I don't think he made a truly great album until his double album opus from 2004, which on the other hand I do consider a work of sprawling genius, a sustained sonic energy boom, a joyful, excessively literary celebration of love, sex, art, life's humorous triumph over death. As soon as he embraced himself as this verbose, literary eccentric, I feel like he became an artist of considerable worth, non the least because he allows himself to be comical, to laugh at his own conception of himself. I don't read him as self-serious. This very fact is what enables him to make an album like Skeleton Tree, on which there's nothing to laugh about. I must defend it from being labelled as amateuristic, cause this simply isn't true, even though I suspect this interpretation is part of why half the EOY-lists deems it one of the best albums of the year while the rest leaves it out completely. I find it a coherent production depicting states of loss (more than grief specifically), and I think it repays listening both musically and lyrically (as if the two were different).
Ulysses
Are You Experienced?

Post by Ulysses »

Eh, apologize for long post..
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Nick wrote:One thing that's really surprised me over the last couple of years is this trend towards solo artists as opposed to bands or duos in the upper echelon of the album's EOY lists. As a review, this is the number of albums in the top 20 albums of the year that were created by a band/duo.

Like Pierre say in another thread, We moved from an 2000's era of rock (band) to an 2010's era of hiphop (solo artist). I think it's not more complicated.
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Pierre wrote:
weirdfish wrote: the rest of the album is a real letdown.
Let Down is a great song :whistle:
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

JohnnyBGoode wrote:
Pierre wrote: the rest of the album is a real letdown.
Let Down is a great song :whistle:
Yes, but that's not an argument in favour of A Moon Shaped Pool :whistle:
JohnnyBGoode
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by JohnnyBGoode »

Ok I'll go with, while I wanted a return to the guitars of OK Computer, Radiohead gave me an album I didn't even know I wanted, full of warmth and accessible, but still with a hint of menace. I loved it, It's been my no.1 most of the year, though at least one other is battling with my affections now.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

I like both A Moon-Shaped Pool and Skeleton Tree. I think A Moon-Shaped Pool is a better pure piece of music, while I think Skeleton Tree is a more expressive piece of art. I'd give both like a 9.3/10
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

Romain wrote:
Nick wrote:One thing that's really surprised me over the last couple of years is this trend towards solo artists as opposed to bands or duos in the upper echelon of the album's EOY lists. As a review, this is the number of albums in the top 20 albums of the year that were created by a band/duo.

Like Pierre say in another thread, We moved from an 2000's era of rock (band) to an 2010's era of hiphop (solo artist). I think it's not more complicated.
I think at the end of this cycle we will see a top 10 of: Dark Twisted Fantasy, To Pimp a Butterfly, Blackstar, Good kid, m.A.A.d. city, Carrie and Lowell, Channel Orange, Let England Shake, Lemonade, Blonde, Modern Vampires of the City. 4 rock albums in the top 10 is the lowest since the 1950s, and I'm not sure that the last 3 years of the decade won't wittle away at that number.

The truth is, there just isn't that much innovation in Rock anymore. I remember when The Suburbs came out, how I viewed it in comparison to rock albums of the year from the 00s. It felt like a pleasant retread of Arcade Fire's strengths, with a couple of new tricks, but not an exciting, dynamic masterpiece.
sickboy83
Are You Experienced?

Post by sickboy83 »

Hi guys, I've been a reader for a long long time, and recently I've been trying to elaborate the same kind of EOY spreadsheet but for italian records. I'm sorry as probably you get asked this question a lot, but how does the spreadsheet work?

I've tried to look everywhere, and then I've tried to figure it out from the formulas, but a) couldn't find it and b) couldn't figure it out cause I'm not good enough with Excel lol.

I'd be grateful if someone could explain to me the parameters or direct me towards the explanation in case it was somewhere here and I have been blind :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :whistle:
Only thing that I would really like to understand is how does it work with lists of different lenghts... for example how much is a 1st place worth in a 100 positions list? Or how much is a 82nd place worth in a 90 position list, and so on.

Thank you for all the great work you do, this is really freaking amazing. You rock people :music-rockon: :music-rockon:
I survived. I speak, I breathe,
I'm incomplete
I'm alive - hooray!
You're wrong again
'Cause I feel no love
Jackson
Into the Groove

Post by Jackson »

weirdfish wrote:How opinions can differ :-)
It's perfectly fine to prefer AMSP to Skeleton Tree or to not like Skeleton Tree at all (it's certainly not an album for everyone), but calling an artist who has released highly acclaimed albums in four different decades 'amateurish' is one of the silliest things I've heard on this forum in a long time. Maybe it was just a bad choice of words.

I think both albums are great and deserving of their places.
chet_baker
Start Me Up

Post by chet_baker »

Any indication what effect 2016 will have on the all time artists list? I note that Black Star is ranked a little higher than Blue & Lonesome...
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Updated with the following:

USA/Canada:
Passion of the Weiss; Under the Radar

UK:
The Guardian [complete]; Clash; Gigwise; Mixmag

Rest of the World:
Gaffa [Norway]; Recorder [Hungary]; Hipersonica (Intl) [Spain]; Mowno [France]; Laut [Germany]; Zundfunk [Germany]
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Current top 100:

1 David Bowie / Blackstar
2 Frank Ocean / Blonde
3 Beyonce / Lemonade
4 Radiohead / A Moon Shaped Pool
5 Solange / A Seat at the Table
6 Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds / Skeleton Tree
7 Angel Olsen / My Woman
8 Bon Iver / 22, A Million
9 A Tribe Called Quest / We Got It from Here… Thank You 4 Your Service
10 Kanye West / The Life of Pablo
11 Chance The Rapper / Coloring Book
12 Anohni / Hopelessness
13 Leonard Cohen / You Want It Darker
14 Anderson .Paak / Malibu
15 Danny Brown / Atrocity Exhibition
16 Car Seat Headrest / Teens of Denial
17 Kaytranada / 99.9%
18 Blood Orange / Freetown Sound
19 Mitski / Puberty 2
20 Jenny Hval / Blood Bitch
21 Skepta / Konnichiwa
22 Rihanna / Anti
23 PJ Harvey / The Hope Six Demolition Project
24 Kendrick Lamar / untitled unmastered.
25 Sturgill Simpson / A Sailor's Guide to Earth
26 The 1975 / I Like It When You Sleep, for You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware of It
27 Whitney / Light Upon the Lake
28 The Avalanches / Wildflower
29 Parquet Courts / Human Performance
30 Michael Kiwanuka / Love & Hate
31 James Blake / The Colour in Anything
32 Iggy Pop / Post Pop Depression
33 Jessy Lanza / Oh No
34 Kate Tempest / Let Them Eat Chaos
35 Nicolas Jaar / Sirens
36 Young Thug / JEFFERY
37 Margo Price / Midwest Farmer's Daughter
38 King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard / Nonagon Infinity
39 Savages / Adore Life
40 YG / Still Brazy
41 Drive-By Truckers / American Band
42 Drake / Views
43 Pinegrove / Cardinal
44 Anna Meredith / Varmints
45 Christine and The Queens / Chaleur Humaine [2014]
46 Kevin Morby / Singing Saw
47 ScHoolboy Q / Blank Face LP
48 Paul Simon / Stranger to Stranger
49 Cass McCombs / Mangy Love
50 Babyfather / BBF Hosted by DJ Escrow
51 White Lung / Paradise
52 Preoccupations / Preoccupations
53 Kamaiyah / A Good Night in the Ghetto
54 Tim Hecker / Love Streams
55 Weyes Blood / Front Row Seat to Earth
56 Shirley Collins / Lodestar
57 Lambchop / FLOTUS
58 Neko Case/k.d. lang/Laura Veirs / case/lang/veirs
59 Kano / Made in the Manor
60 Wilco / Schmilco
61 Noname / Telefone
62 Miranda Lambert / The Weight of These Wings
63 Frankie Cosmos / Next Thing
64 The Lemon Twigs / Do Hollywood
65 King / We Are King
66 Equiknoxx / Bird Sound Power
67 Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith / Ears
68 The Radio Dept. / Running Out of Love
69 NxWorries / Yes Lawd!
70 DIIV / Is The Is Are
71 The Drones / Feelin Kinda Free
72 Underworld / Barbara Barbara, We Face a Shining Future
73 Esperanza Spalding / Emily's D+Evolution
74 Hinds / Leave Me Alone
75 Ryley Walker / Golden Sings That Have Been Sung
76 Oranssi Pazuzu / Varahtelija
77 Tegan and Sara / Love You to Death
78 Suede / Night Thoughts
79 Maren Morris / Hero
80 Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam / I Had a Dream That You Were Mine
81 M83 / Junk
82 Teenage Fanclub / Here
83 Fat White Family / Songs for Our Mothers
84 Meilyr Jones / 2013
85 Deftones / Gore
86 Charles Bradley / Changes
87 Nails / You Will Never Be One of Us
88 BADBADNOTGOOD / IV
89 Let's Eat Grandma / I, Gemini
90 Julianna Barwick / Will
91 Noura Mint Seymali / Arbina
92 Shura / Nothing's Real
93 The Hotelier / Goodness
94 Nao / For All We Know
95 Metallica / Hardwired…to Self-Destruct
96 Kevin Gates / Islah
97 Autechre / elseq 1-5
98 School of Seven Bells / SVIIB
99 Touche Amore / Stage Four
100 Julia Jacklin / Don't Let the Kids Win
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

I'm glad Nick Cave is keeping his ranking in the top 10. It looks like Beyoncé's lead keeps crumbling, although I'm not a fan of the fact that Radiohead could potentially climb higher than her. I wish Solange (or even Cave) would instead, for example, if such a move was needed.

I also wish Chance would regain his place in the top 10 and get back ahead of Kanye.

I still think M83 have no business in the top 100 of this year. Quite surprised Underworld could potentially squeeze in a bubbler for the first time in years. I don't mind and I like the album of course, although it doesn't come close to the masterpieces of their heyday.

Funny to see that Christine and the Queens will place their album on the website two years after it was actually released for us in France. I wish La Femme would have as much luck, but I'm skeptical.

And thanks again Harold for all your work, of course.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

As more Rest of the World lists start to appear, a couple of things worth noting:

As of today, not only has Blonde moved ahead of Lemonade - so has A Moon Shaped Pool. And if Skeleton Tree continues its stellar showing internationally, Beyonce could very well end up at #5.

I am surprised and delighted that the two best U.S. indie-rock albums of the year - Teens of Denial and Human Performance - are doing extremely well in international polls.
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Harold wrote:As more Rest of the World lists start to appear, a couple of things worth noting:

As of today, not only has Blonde moved ahead of Lemonade - so has A Moon Shaped Pool. And if Skeleton Tree continues its stellar showing internationally, Beyonce could very well end up at #5.

I am surprised and delighted that the two best U.S. indie-rock albums of the year - Teens of Denial and Human Performance - are doing extremely well in international polls.
I don't really want to be complaining, but related to this I think not only that US lists could have a better balance between hip hop / R&B and other genres, but also that international lists could have a better balance between male and female artists.

Edit: Having said that, to each his own and that goes for critics too. Having said that though, some critics' lists look like compilation sources like AM.

Edit2: This is however not a comment against any of the particular albums Harold mentioned. Certainly not.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Jonathon
Let's Get It On

Post by Jonathon »

I just want my prediction to come true.

U.S.- Lemonade.
U.K.- Blackstar.
International- Skeleton Tree.

You watch it guys! I called it. :mrgreen:

Return to “EOY 2016”