EOY 2015 - Flavorwire (U.S.)

GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

EOY 2015 - Flavorwire (U.S.)

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Albums

http://flavorwire.com/552218/flavorwire ... ms-of-2015

"End-of-year lists can be fun, but also maddening. We like reading them because it gives us a peek at everything that we might have missed this past year, but often what makes the list can come down to what feels most important rather than what we actually liked.So for this year’s best albums list, we decided to take a different approach. We won’t claim these are the best albums of 2015 (indeed, one came out so late in 2014 we’re counting it this year), but they were certainly our favorite. And since the top entry on a lot of lists will likely be the same this year (and rightfully so, to be quite honest), we chose to make a Top 5 rather than a ranked list. Because, while rankings are fun, this list is meant to be about acknowledging greatness, not pitting artists against each other. On that note, we present our favorite 20 albums of the year, starting with the bottom 15, listed alphabetically"

Algiers - Algiers
Björk — Vulnicura
Carly Rae Jepsen – E*MO*TION
Desaparecidos — Payola
Dr. Dre — Compton: A Soundtrack
Erykah Badu — But You Caint Use My Phone
FKA twigs — M3LL155X
Ibeyi — Ibeyi
Jamie xx — In Colour
Joanna Newsom — Divers
Kelela — Hallucinogen
Magical Cloudz — Are You Alone?
Rick Ross — Black Dollar
Shye Ben Tzur, Jonny Greenwood, and the Rajasthan Express — Junun
Sports — All of Something

Top 5
Courtney Barnett — Sometimes I Sit and Think and Sometimes I Just Sit
D’Angelo and the Vanguard — Black Messiah
Downtown Boys — Full Communism
Grimes — Art Angels
Kendrick Lamar — To Pimp a Butterfly
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Re: EOY 2015 - Flavorwire (U.S.)

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

Songs

http://flavorwire.com/553111/flavorwire ... gs-of-2015

"As time goes on, with more and more music flooding the Internet every year, it becomes increasingly difficult to decide on the year’s best tunes. Our music editor Matthew Ruiz already chose the year’s best albums, but we don’t dare to unilaterally rank 2015’s best songs. So each of us here at Flavorwire has chosen our own, and it’s clear that this is the best way to claim our favorite songs, because this is a helluva sonically diverse list."

So as the above paragraph indicates, this list is just each writer's favorite song(s) of the year, therefore, I don't think it's eligible.

Also worth noting, the paragraph seems to imply that editor Matthew Ruiz compiled the entirety of the albums list, which may render that list ineligible.

Sleater-Kinney — “No Anthems”
Drake — “Know Yourself”
Majical Cloudz, Dilly Dally, and Courtney Barnett — "Downtown", "Green", and "Depreston"
Lana Del Rey — “High by the Beach”
All of Analog Africa’s Amara Touré Anthology
Vince Staples — “Lift Me Up” & Joey Bada$$ — “Paper Trail$”
Kendrick Lamar — “King Kunta”
Grimes — “Kill V. Maim”
Hudson Mohawke feat. ANOHNI — “Indian Steps”
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

GucciLittlePiggy wrote: Also worth noting, the paragraph seems to imply that editor Matthew Ruiz compiled the entirety of the albums list, which may render that list ineligible.
Thanks for catching this - yes, it would seem that list is ineligible. I'll remove it from the spreadsheet and replace it in that column with the newly posted Pigeons & Planes album list (I'm always hesitant to simply delete a column because I'm afraid of screwing something up with the formulas).
Henrik
Site Admin

Post by Henrik »

Weird. Ruiz uses "we" and "our" so many times for the albums list. Can it really be his own list nonetheless?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Return to “EOY 2015”