Poll: Should playlists be eligible?

Should lists that are only presented as playlists (Spotify, Deezer,etc.) be eligible for AM?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 22

Henrik
Site Admin

Poll: Should playlists be eligible?

Post by Henrik »

Should lists that are only presented as playlists (Spotify, Deezer,etc.) be eligible for AM? All artists are not available (e.g. Joanna Newsom, Taylor Swift).

You're welcome to comment on your vote as well.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
antonius
Movin' On Up

Re: Poll: Should playlists be eligible?

Post by antonius »

A few random thoughts
- at first sight: why shouldn't they be eligible? A playlist is a list of songs, unranked.
- but when compiling the HUMO playlist a few things struck me: there are songs in the online Deezer playlist that aren't in the official list printed in the physical magazine. And vice versa: there are songs in the list in the magazine that aren't in the playlist, for whatever reason.
- I still prefer a ranked list.
- How long will these lists be available online? Will Spotify survive? Deezer?
Romain
Happy Up Here

Post by Romain »

Yes, of course if it's the way the website choose to publish his list.
Why don't?
Setherex
Movin' On Up

Post by Setherex »

antonius wrote:- How long will these lists be available online? Will Spotify survive? Deezer?
This, and the point about certain artists being automatically excluded from the lists (Swift, Newsom) are why I'm voting no. Not that I would be seriously concerned either way - more lists the merrier, in my opinion. But I can very much understand the viewpoint of not wanting such loosely defined lists on the site.
Future Critic
Let's Get It On

Post by Future Critic »

I'm not sure how I feel about including them, so I'll withhold my vote. But I've always wondered why we include publications that are limited to certain genres. Does anyone really think that Sufjan Stevens has a chance of making the HipHopDX list? These genre lists seem like they should be excluded for similar and much more extreme reasons.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Future Critic wrote:I'm not sure how I feel about including them, so I'll withhold my vote. But I've always wondered why we include publications that are limited to certain genres. Does anyone really think that Sufjan Stevens has a chance of making the HipHopDX list? These genre lists seem like they should be excluded for similar and much more extreme reasons.
I disagree with this and of course you had to point the HipHop list. I somehow think if it wasn't a hip hop list you would be ok with it?
Future Critic
Let's Get It On

Post by Future Critic »

bootsy wrote: I disagree with this and of course you had to point the HipHop list. I somehow think if it wasn't a hip hop list you would be ok with it?
Please don't take my comment out of context. I was simply using HipHopDX as an example because it is one of the few publications included that obviously focuses on a certain genre. I absolutely have nothing against hip hop music and I was just using it as an example of a publication where certain songs are ineligible.

Do you think we should start using lists that only include country songs and albums? How about lists that only focus on worship music? I think I even saw a list that just ranked all of the Adele songs from "25". I'd be against using any of these lists too (by a far greater margin), but they're already excluded. Simply put, my opinion was that including limits that limit its selections give certain songs an advantage. Nothing more - and in the future I will avoid using any examples that my be misinterpreted.

In return, I hope that you are more thoughtful with your responses in the future.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Future Critic wrote:
bootsy wrote: I disagree with this and of course you had to point the HipHop list. I somehow think if it wasn't a hip hop list you would be ok with it?
Please don't take my comment out of context. I was simply using HipHopDX as an example because it is one of the few publications included that obviously focuses on a certain genre. I absolutely have nothing against hip hop music and I was just using it as an example of a publication where certain songs are ineligible.

Do you think we should start using lists that only include country songs and albums? How about lists that only focus on worship music? I think I even saw a list that just ranked all of the Adele songs from "25". I'd be against using any of these lists too (by a far greater margin), but they're already excluded. Simply put, my opinion was that including limits that limit its selections give certain songs an advantage. Nothing more - and in the future I will avoid using any examples that my be misinterpreted.

In return, I hope that you are more thoughtful with your responses in the future.
OK no problem it just seems like any time these arguments come up Hip-Hop is the template but no problem.

I think these lists should be included, there aren't many of them and they are very relevant so yes I do think genre lists like this should be included. Maybe weighted a little less or points taken off, not sure how to word it, because it's a genre specific list but it should still count.
Federico
Let's Get It On

Post by Federico »

I think the discussion about the inclusion of playlists shouldn't end. There are some lists published as playlists from sources, which were eligible in the past. This year, for example, the lists of mowno, popnews, both from France, and state (Ireland) are published as playlists. Does anyone think, that, next year, they will return to a simple list? In the future more and more internet sources will publish their list as a playlist. I don't think it will be a good decision to ignore that.
GucciLittlePiggy
Unquestionable Presence

Post by GucciLittlePiggy »

I agree with what Federico said and I'd add that I doubt a publication would slight an artist just because they're not available on a streaming service. I think they'd probably mention that the playlist was missing whatever song was unavailable.

That's just an assumption on my part, though, and I'm certainly not gonna make a big fuss over the issue. I think
Henrik's wait-and-see approach is wise. If these playlists do, indeed, become more frequent in the future then they should be added, but it's probably all right to exclude a few at this time. Besides, Henrik already has a lot of lists to manage every year so imposing standards like this isn't such a bad thing.
I just wanted to be one of those ghosts
You thought that you could forget
And then I haunt you via the rear view mirror
On a long drive from the back seat...
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

No, not if the playlist ONLY contains artists that are on the particular streaming site. Because that would mean artists that the critics otherwise would have included are being excluded, and not due to their genre or their quality, but merely due to their availability on a certain platform.

And I love that AM includes genre-specific sources. Someone above made the argument that Sufjan Stevens wouldn't be able to make the HipHopDX list, or the Decibel list for that matter. But look at the other way. Sufjan already makes plenty of lists. Without HipHopDX (and other hip hop sources) and Decibel (and other metal sources), a lot of quality hip hop and metal releases wouldn't be on the spreadsheet, or at least as high as they are.

Return to “EOY 2015”