4. Tame Impala - Currents
3. New Order - Music Complete
2. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
1. Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness
Pierre
Into the Groove

Re: EOY 2015 - Mojo (UK)

Post by Pierre »

Thanks Borntorun73! Do you have a link to the list on Mojo's website?

Fans of Julia Holter will certainly be pleased to see her take a headstart. On the other hand, fans of Sufjan Stevens may take his (very good) #10 ranking as a travesty :D

VERY annoyed not to see Grimes, but that's unsurprising since Mojo has apparently not reviewed her album. It seems the fact that the physical release for her album will only occur on December 11 might hurt her ranking, just like for D'Angelo and Beyoncé these last years, as some critics are apparently waiting for it to make their review. What with those early EOY lists, dang? :angry-banghead:
Borntorun73
The Only Way Is Up

Post by Borntorun73 »

Don't think the website's been updated as yet, Pierre. I got the list from the magazine this morning. It's not actually due out until 24th November. Perks of being a subscriber, I guess!
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

Borntorun73 wrote:Don't think the website's been updated as yet, Pierre. I got the list from the magazine this morning. It's not actually due out until 24th November. Perks of being a subscriber, I guess!
Yes, I guess :D That's just because it's usually better for everyone to back a list with a checkable link - we'll just have to wait in that case. Thanks anyway!
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

I'm amused by this list because looking back at the albums I tracked during the year they pretty much gave 4/5 to almost everything. In 27 out of 33 albums I tracked which they scored they gave 4/5. Appropriately Julia Holter did have 5/5 and so did Sleater-Kinney. Courtney Barnett who charted EOY higher than SK they scored a 3/5 when it came out. Guess it grew on them some throughout the year. The other three non-4s were Lightning Bolt 5/5, Bob Dylan 5/5 & Alabama Shakes 3/5.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Interesting to see Black Messiah here at #16. As I speculated last year, I wonder how many other 2015 EOY lists will include it to make up for last year's lists being compiled too early.
bootsy
Shake Some Action

Post by bootsy »

Harold wrote:Interesting to see Black Messiah here at #16. As I speculated last year, I wonder how many other 2015 EOY lists will include it to make up for last year's lists being compiled too early.
I hope a lot of them do because the album deserves to be praised. I'm just hoping some of these don't forget about it altogether for this year and last year because of the release date.
Jeff
Different Class

Post by Jeff »

You know Kendrick's going to dominate this year if even Mojo puts him in the top 2.
charliepanayi
Different Class

Post by charliepanayi »

Pierre wrote:VERY annoyed not to see Grimes, but that's unsurprising since Mojo has apparently not reviewed her album. It seems the fact that the physical release for her album will only occur on December 11 might hurt her ranking, just like for D'Angelo and Beyoncé these last years, as some critics are apparently waiting for it to make their review. What with those early EOY lists, dang? :angry-banghead:
The album has been out digitally for a few weeks now, so maybe they just didn't like it that much. This is Mojo after all, Grimes isn't really their wheelhouse.
Pierre
Into the Groove

Post by Pierre »

charliepanayi wrote:
Pierre wrote:VERY annoyed not to see Grimes, but that's unsurprising since Mojo has apparently not reviewed her album. It seems the fact that the physical release for her album will only occur on December 11 might hurt her ranking, just like for D'Angelo and Beyoncé these last years, as some critics are apparently waiting for it to make their review. What with those early EOY lists, dang? :angry-banghead:
The album has been out digitally for a few weeks now, so maybe they just didn't like it that much. This is Mojo after all, Grimes isn't really their wheelhouse.
Yeah, and I've said elsewhere that I was wary of European critics' opinions of the album, because given some of the early ones that appeared (namely The Observer and The Guardian) I'm afraid they're going to shoot down this great album. However, in this particular case Mojo (and Uncut, for that matter) have not reviewed it yet, and I know some critics only review the albums when they have been physically released, so I hope it's the reason.

Return to “EOY 2015”