Notes on EOY Spreadsheets

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1574
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Notes on EOY Spreadsheets

Postby Harold » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:46 am

Now that this forum is officially open (as always, way too early!), I'd like to confirm that I will once again be compiling the EOY albums spreadsheet for 2015. Who wants to take on the song lists?

When I have a spare moment, I will post the list of sources from the 2014 spreadsheet, which can serve as a checklist.

Henrik, can you please re-post the criteria (Alexa-related and otherwise) for potential new sources to be included?

Looking forward to doing this again - even though I know that, come mid-January, I'll be equally looking forward to finishing it.

User avatar
Henrik
Site Admin
Posts: 4502
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am
Location: Älvsjö, Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Notes on EOY Spreadsheets

Postby Henrik » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:40 am

Many thanks, Harold!!! I am once again so grateful that you're doing this!
:happy-partydance:
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

User avatar
Henrik
Site Admin
Posts: 4502
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am
Location: Älvsjö, Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Notes on EOY Spreadsheets

Postby Henrik » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:45 am

Harold wrote:Henrik, can you please re-post the criteria (Alexa-related and otherwise) for potential new sources to be included.

Sure, but how do you feel about lists without comments/blurbs?
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2191
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

Harold
Die Mensch Maschine
Posts: 1574
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Re: Notes on EOY Spreadsheets

Postby Harold » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:21 pm

Henrik wrote:Sure, but how do you feel about lists without comments/blurbs?
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2191


I don't necessarily have a problem with this. When someone posts an EOY list here, if it's from a previously trusted source I'm probably not going to click on the link to look for blurbs unless there's some obvious error or discrepancy in the transcription that I need to check - there are so many lists that I simply won't have time to do that.

User avatar
Henrik
Site Admin
Posts: 4502
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am
Location: Älvsjö, Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Notes on EOY Spreadsheets

Postby Henrik » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:41 pm

Harold wrote:
Henrik wrote:Sure, but how do you feel about lists without comments/blurbs?
http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2191


I don't necessarily have a problem with this. When someone posts an EOY list here, if it's from a previously trusted source I'm probably not going to click on the link to look for blurbs unless there's some obvious error or discrepancy in the transcription that I need to check - there are so many lists that I simply won't have time to do that.

OK, then I'll just copy the criteria from last year.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.

User avatar
Henrik
Site Admin
Posts: 4502
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:09 am
Location: Älvsjö, Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Notes on EOY Spreadsheets

Postby Henrik » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:44 pm

Here are the criteria for how to determine whether a new source is eligible for the EOY albums spreadsheet:

1. The Alexa.com rank should be less than 1,000,000 and the number of sites linking in should be more than 100. Both these criteria should preferably be met, but if one of the numbers is really strong that might be ok too. Printed magazines that are devoted to music are always eligible.

2. It should be clear that the list was compiled by several people (minimum three) from the staff.

3. The source needs to publish at least 10 album reviews per month, and not just recommendations with a couple of sentences per album.

4. A radio or TV channel is eligible if it is a "main station" of a country (typically a public broadcasting service with a focus on music). The staff team requirement needs to be fulfilled but not the number of reviews.

5. No record stores.
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.


Return to “EOY 2015”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests