Not many lists posted today...

Henrik
Site Admin

Not many lists posted today...

Post by Henrik »

D'Angelo?
Everyone you meet fights a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: Not many lists posted today...

Post by Harold »

If you're asking whether lists are being delayed so that the new D'Angelo album might be added, I doubt it. There are usually a few days - especially following a flood of lists like we've had this week - where there aren't a lot of new lists being posted.

I have definitely found myself wondering about D'Angelo, though. For the second year in a row, there's been a hugely acclaimed, much-discussed album released after a large number of EOY lists have already appeared. As was the case with Beyonce, If Black Messiah had emerged any earlier, even by a few weeks, it would almost certainly be one of the dominant albums on the EOY spreadsheet right now. There are still enough lists yet to come that it could still make a halfway decent showing, but it won't rank nearly as high as it would had it come out earlier.

I'm somewhat expecting Beyonce to make it into the top 3000 on the next update because of the few 2014 lists it's made (hopefully more to come) and the other lists on which it's appeared. Time will probably need to tell for D'Angelo as well.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

It's safe to say that D'Angelo will make it to any future decade and half-decade list worth its salt, and a few all-time lists too. So in a couple of updates, or at least by the end of this decade, I expect Black Messiah to be very high on AM, perhaps even top 200. But no, I agree with Harold, it won't be nearly as high as it deserves on the next update. Heck, it may not even make it to AM yet!
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

It's a much better album than Beyonce's self titled, and D'Angelo is a more critically respected artist. For that reason, I do expect it to place on more EOY lists next year, than Beyonce did this year.
Sweepstakes Ron
Full of Fire

Post by Sweepstakes Ron »

irreduciblekoan wrote:It's safe to say that D'Angelo will make it to any future decade and half-decade list worth its salt, and a few all-time lists too.
Speaking of which, we haven't seen very many half-decade lists for 2010-2014 yet. Just the unusually early Pitchfork one, I think. Should we expect them to show up in early 2015, or are they just not very common?
Splish splash, I was raking in the cash
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Nothing to do with the D'Angelo album at all, but I am reposting this from the update thread, hoping that Irreduciblekoan will notice. Also, did you get my PM about this?

"Speaking of me asking about Harold and his director ballot, Irreduciblekoan, you frequently check this section of the forum, so I am just curious how your director ballot is coming along as well? We have 16 ballots currently."
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Irreduciblekoan the director poll ends today, are you going to vote? I'm bumping this more hopes that you will finally see this.
JimmyJazz
Shake Some Action

Post by JimmyJazz »

Irreduciblekoan, there are two more days to vote for the Director Poll, if you had checked the film board. Please confirm to me if you need to have an extension or are even going to vote?

Return to “EOY 2014”