EoY Predictions Topic

Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

EoY Predictions Topic

Post by Matski »

Here we are again people. Any early patterns you seeing appear in the lists so far, or any predictions you have for who'll be the no.1 album this year - feel free to post them here.

Personally I expect a threeway charge between The War on Drugs, St. Vincent and Sun Kil Moon, though as usual I'm hoping to see a much more diverse series of contenders.
Harold
Into the Groove

Re: EoY Predictions Topic

Post by Harold »

I've started working on the spreadsheet, and if the pattern established by the three eligible lists posted so far holds true, the top two albums of 2014 will be by At the Gates and Godflesh.

I'm willing to admit that may not turn out to be the case.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

The War on Drugs will be the consensus AOTY. St. Vincent and Sun Kil Moon will end up in the top 5.

Swans are a bit too experimental to end up TOO high, but their goodwill after "The Seer" and the acclaim surrounding their latest album will be enough for "To Be Kind" to crack the top 10. FKA Twigs, Flying Lotus, Run the Jewels, and Aphex Twin will all occupy the top 10 as well.

Beyonce's self-titled album she put out last year will end up on a lot of lists, despite being a 2013 album. Maybe enough to enter the top 10.

I'm hoping for a decent Todd Terje placement, I'd say top 20 is being realistic, top 10 is possible though.

The top song will be a bit harder to call, but I think "Seasons" by Future Islands is the best pick, and not just because it's my personal SOTY.
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

Nick wrote:Beyonce's self-titled album she put out last year will end up on a lot of lists, despite being a 2013 album. Maybe enough to enter the top 10.
I hope so. Not even because I'm a particularly huge fan of the album, but just because it got the short end last year by virtue of its late release. Had it been released even in, say, October, it would probably be in the AM top 500 right now.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Harold wrote:
Nick wrote:Beyonce's self-titled album she put out last year will end up on a lot of lists, despite being a 2013 album. Maybe enough to enter the top 10.
I hope so. Not even because I'm a particularly huge fan of the album, but just because it got the short end last year by virtue of its late release. Had it been released even in, say, October, it would probably be in the AM top 500 right now.
I wasn't too impressed with the album either, but I agree. It's unfair that Beyoncé was ignored at the EOY 2013 lists just because of poor timing. That being said, critics seem to love it, so I'm sure it'll make some high placements on half decade lists and the eventual EOD lists.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

Beyonce's self titled has already made it on two half decade lists if I'm not mistaken, so it's already starting well on its way to being an AM mainstay. At the same time though, I actually do no expect it to make a LOT of end of year lists this year. Some, but certainly not enough to be in the top 10 or even 20 on the spreadsheet. I just don't see a whole lot of sources remembering it enough to place it high on their lists.

Edit: Although, who can say for sure? The two people above me aren't huge fans of the album. I, too, don't love the album. There are tunes I enjoy on it, but I don't return to it that often. Perhaps the late-2013 praise will start to taper off, once critics get over the surprise of "wow, this is a Beyonce album and it's pretty good!" and begin thinking "yeah, but it isn't THAT great."
Harold
Into the Groove

Post by Harold »

We might be able to call a prospective #1 already for Lost in the Dream.

As Adam Granduciel might / should say in real life to Mark Kozelek: "Right back at'cha, buddy!"

(Not that I'm one to gossip, but not only does Granduciel have what might be the year's consensus #1 album, he's also doing pretty well on the personal front - he's dating Krysten Ritter, the talented and fetching actress best known as Jane on Breaking Bad. Lost in the dream? Dude's living it.)

On other fronts, who the heck is this Sturgill Simpson? (Yes, yes, Google and Wikipedia are my friends, yada, yada. It's just that the year-end praise for this album seems to be coming out of nowhere.)
dr_Robert
Strange Fruit

Post by dr_Robert »

The arrival of the EOY-lists is the best thing about this time of year...

Apart from The War on Drugs, I would bet on Angel Olsen, Beck, Caribou, Jack White, Mac De Marco,
Sharon van Etten, Spoon, St Vincent and Sun Kil Moon in the top 10.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Harold wrote:I've started working on the spreadsheet, and if the pattern established by the three eligible lists posted so far holds true, the top two albums of 2014 will be by At the Gates and Godflesh.
'bout time we had a metal #1 EoY. I was hoping it would be Triptykon though. :(
Harold wrote:I hope so. Not even because I'm a particularly huge fan of the album, but just because it got the short end last year by virtue of its late release. Had it been released even in, say, October, it would probably be in the AM top 500 right now.
Nick wrote:I wasn't too impressed with the album either, but I agree. It's unfair that Beyoncé was ignored at the EOY 2013 lists just because of poor timing. That being said, critics seem to love it, so I'm sure it'll make some high placements on half decade lists and the eventual EOD lists.
Not at all optimistic about Beyonce recovering her votes this year. While it wasn't as out-of-the-blue, 'Undun' did not receive as many nods as I thought it would have, because it was released in December. IIRC it didn't receive any the following year either...
Harold wrote:On other fronts, who the heck is this Sturgill Simpson? (Yes, yes, Google and Wikipedia are my friends, yada, yada. It's just that the year-end praise for this album seems to be coming out of nowhere.)
Have to admit I hadn't heard of this one either. Seems to have done pretty well on metacritic, though nothing spectacular enough to get it widely noticed.
Last edited by Matski on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
irreduciblekoan
Different Class

Post by irreduciblekoan »

Really enjoying that Sturgill Simpson. It's precisely discoveries like that which is the reason I love the EOY lists (and AM in general) so much. Founding out about those great albums that didn't get much critical attention at first, which I might have missed.
notdarkyet
Strange Fruit

Post by notdarkyet »

Not really a prediction so much as an observation but I'm surprised there hasn't been any love shown in the lists for tune-yards "nikki nack" so far. It's not an album I personally immediately embraced though I have come to find it a fun listen over the course of the year. They toured the hell out of it this year so thought it would at least remain in people's consciousness even though it released over six months ago. Also, I feel "Beyonce" is pretty great so hope she does find some praise for it in the EOYs this time around.
Matski
Rust Never Sleeps

Post by Matski »

Early days yet but hopefully Nikki Nack can climb several dozen places within the next month or so. It's every bit the worthy successor to w h o k i l l.
Nick
Running Up That Hill

Post by Nick »

Nick wrote:The War on Drugs will be the consensus AOTY. St. Vincent and Sun Kil Moon will end up in the top 5.
Yupp.
Nick wrote:Swans are a bit too experimental to end up TOO high, but their goodwill after "The Seer" and the acclaim surrounding their latest album will be enough for "To Be Kind" to crack the top 10. FKA Twigs, Flying Lotus, Run the Jewels, and Aphex Twin will all occupy the top 10 as well.
Yupp.
Nope.

Nick wrote:I'm hoping for a decent Todd Terje placement, I'd say top 20 is being realistic, top 10 is possible though.
Yupp.

Nick wrote:The top song will be a bit harder to call, but I think "Seasons" by Future Islands is the best pick, and not just because it's my personal SOTY.
All hail the prediction king :mrgreen:

Return to “EOY 2014”